Referee Administrator - Jeremy Howes
Why should you become an AYSO Referee? We need you. We can't have games without referees. More importantly, it's rewarding and working with kids is great fun!
Referees are critical to soccer - the game can't be played without them. The referee's job is to be the official in charge of the game. He is the independent arbiter and manager of the game. Her authority extends to everyone at the field, including players, substitutes, team officials, spectators, and even assistant referees.
The referee's number one concern is to keep the game as safe as possible for the players. While there is risk in all sports, the referee is responsible for minimizing such risks from field conditions, equipment, spectators, and the players.
The referee is responsible for enforcing the Laws of the Game in such a way as to keep the game safe, fair and fun for everyone: the players, the coaches, the spectators and themselves. He interferes with the game as little as possible, avoiding making calls for doubtful and trifling offenses. Referees only make calls for offenses they are sure occurred.
We want our kids to continue to play, and they keep playing as long as it is fun. Referees learn that fun soccer varies from age group to age group of players.
– Register as an AYSO Volunteer
All referees must register as volunteers annually. Youth volunteers (ages 12-17) will need a parent or guardian to complete the on-line volunteer process for them.
Register on-line as a Volunteer with AYSO at www.eayso.org
– Complete Safe Haven and Concussion Awareness
All new referees must complete:
- AYSO Safe Haven (Course MT02)
- Concussion Awareness (AYSO CDC Concussion Awareness)
- Link for the two courses: www.aysotraining.org
– Attend a Basic Referee Course
All New Referee’s complete the Basic Referee Course requirement to earn a badge. Classes listed on next pages & additional classes on www.eayso.org.
- Two ways to complete Basic Referee Training
- Take an 8 hour classroom course called “Basic Referee.” Pre-register for this classroom course & Pass the test.
- Take both the Basic Referee online course and attend “Basic Referee Online Companion Course” in a classroom & Pass the test. Find these classroom courses at www.eayso.org. (PRIOR TO TAKING THIS COURSE THIS OPTION, YOU MUST COMPLETE AYSO SAFE HAVEN & CONCUSSION AWARENESS TRAINING AND BASIC REFEREE ONLINE TRAINING AT www.aysotraining.org BRING THE COURSE COMPLETION CERTIFICATES WITH YOU AS PROOF. ALSO BRING A PEN OR PENCIL AND A NOTE PAD TO WRITE ON. THE EXAMINATION WILL BE HELD AT THE END OF CLASS)
- You must pre-register for each classroom course at www.eayso.org
- Pay attention to the contents of Basic Referee Online Training. There is a written exam that you need to pass in the Companion Course.
– Field Mentoring
All New Referees must be mentored by one of Region 84’s approved mentors or another Region’s mentoring event with experienced referee mentors.
Region 84 Referee Uniform Distribution
- Once the volunteer has completed all steps above a Referee Uniform will be distributed.